When one of South Australia's largest Councils appointed McArthur to review its Director and Management level remuneration packages, we knew the solution wasn't simply a question of identifying benchmarks and measuring alignment. It was a question of understanding roles and the sector's wider remuneration environment.
Historically the client had conducted bi-annual reviews of all Director and Management-level remuneration packages to ensure they were reflective of industry standards and provided the feedback needed to ensure staff retention. Their feeling, however was that more detailed 'drilling down' and wider analysis was needed for a more accurate picture. The parameters of the review covered 3 Directors and 14 Managers within a $125kpa - $210kpa salary range and with annual budget responsibility ranging from $5m - $8m+.
McArthur recognised that an in-depth understanding of all roles and associated responsibilities was critical to delivering the required intelligence and recommendations, and this was a key driver behind the methodology. We also utilised the comprehensive data collated for the industry leading McArthur National Remuneration Survey (which includes 4,000 individual reference points) , State and Federal Government data and both Public and Private sector data.
Our comprehensive report that:
- recommended remuneration packages including 1st and 3rd quartile, median and average packages for each position;
- identified specific employment costs/benefits and key factors to be considered when considering remuneration packages;
- Identified high risk positions and advised accordingly.
The client benefits.
- A clearer understanding of comparative role responsibilities;
- Increased awareness of under and over-valued individuals;
- Informed remuneration strategy planning data;
- More effective staff retention strategies;
- Increased accuracy in HR budgeting;
- Improved senior staff morale.
THE CLIENT EXPERIENCE
The service delivery from McArthur including advice & responsiveness has been of a very high standard. We have received positive feedback from the Executive members and corporate managers of their experience with this years' process. Managers have appreciated the structured approach used by McArthur, particularly in regard to the one on one discussion.
Manager - Organisational Development